The Cyprus tax system offers the following tax benefits:
It should be also noted that the Cyprus tax system has been approved by EU and it is in compliance with the OECD requirements against harmful tax practices.
In our days, investors are looking for a suitable jurisdiction to use as holding location for their investments. Cyprus offers a competitive tax system for international investors and can be used successfully as an intermediate holding company jurisdiction.
More specifically, the Cyprus tax system offers the following exemptions for pure holding companies:
1. Gains from disposal of qualifying titles are unconditionally exempt from any form of taxation in Cyprus.
2. Dividends received from foreign corporations are exempt from tax provided that:
If the above both conditions do not apply, then the dividend income in subject to special defence tax at the rate of 17%
3. Dividends received from Cyprus corporations are unconditionally exempt from tax.
4. Dividends paid to foreign corporations or individuals are not subject to withholding tax in Cyprus, as per the Cypriot domestic tax legislation.
5. Cyprus is an EU member state; hence the EU parent-subsidiary directive applies for dividends received and paid by (and to) a company located in an EU member state.
6. There are no exit costs, upon liquidation of a Cypriot holding company.
7. Tax free group reorganizations are available under the Cypriot domestic tax legislation and EU directives.
8. Cypriot pure holding companies fall outside the scope of VAT legislation and will not be entitled or obligated to register for VAT purposes.
Our comments above apply for non-Cyprus investors with an interest to invest outside Cyprus using a Cyprus holding company.